I had a few bananas turn brown on me before I could eat them this week, so I decided to make some banana bread! I decided to stick with my recent high-protein trend and sneak some extra protein in there. I’ve been eating P28’s protein peanut butter; adding it to my meal replacement shakes in the morning. One serving of the peanut butter has 14gs of protein! I really like their white chocolate peanut butter, sometimes I just eat it on the spoon!
P28 also has their own breads (sandwich, wraps, bagels) that have whey protein added. Unfortunately, they are not gluten free. But, that is where I got the idea to add protein powder to my banana bread recipe. I used Magnum Quattro Vanilla Ice Cream flavored protein, which has 30 g of protein per serving. It’s a great protein supplement that’s easily digestible and tastes yummy!
It took a couple of tries, but I think we found a winning combination! Each slice should have about 9g of protein.
Protein Banana Bread
2 overly ripe bananas
3/4 c gf oat flour
3/4 c whey protein powder (I used Magnum Quattro Vanilla Ice Cream)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 c ground flax seed
1 c plain Greek yogurt
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Peel bananas and put them in mixer. Mash until they are a thick pudding-like consistency.
- Add add wet ingredients to bananas and combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to mixer and slowly combine.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Lightly grease loaf pan and pour batter in.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick pulls out clean when tested.
I think I may add walnuts or another type of nut next time! Enjoy!